Sunday, November 6, 2011

Before and After Using Digital Photo Professional

There has been some talk on one of the photography Facebook groups I belong to about the differences between Adobe digital editing software such as Lightroom and Digital Photo Professional (the free editing software that is included with the purchase of Canon DSLRs).  At the moment I use DPP for all my editing, and so I thought it might be fun to post a before and after example of an edit using this program.

The first image below was shot in RAW, converted straight to JPEG, and posted without any adjustments.  The second one has been edited as a RAW image in DPP before being converted to JPEG and posted here.


Here are the steps that I took to edit this image in DPP:
1. Opened Adjustments and used the Tone Curve Assist-Standard tool
2. Opened the Tool Palette under View 
3. Adjusted contrast
4. Adjusted saturation
5. Increased sharpness
6. Adjusted exposure
7. Clicked on White Balance Adjustment and changed white balance using the Kalvin scale


For anyone interested in using this program, I hope this helps.  In my own opinion, it doesn't even compare to Photoshop in terms it's editing opinions, but it is useful for the initial processing of RAW images.

1 comment:

  1. I know it's crazy, but I don't shoot in raw. A few times I have regretted this. I love the tone you use in your edit. That color is very soothing and of course, she is just a little doll. :-)

    ReplyDelete